Monday 14 July 2014

Review: Maire Claremont's "Lady in Red (Mad Passions #2)"

4 Hearts Review: Maire Claremont's "Lady in Red (Mad Passions #2)"


Synopsis:

The Victorian era was full of majestic beauty and scandalous secrets—a time when corsets were the least of a woman’s restrictions, and men could kill or be killed in the name of honor…

Lady Mary Darrel should be the envy of London. Instead, all society believes her dead. For Mary holds a secret so dangerous, her father chose to keep her locked away…and have a grave made for her near her mother’s. Driven to the edge of desperation, Mary manages to escape the asylum, only to find that her fate yet again rests in the hands of a man…

Edward Barrons, Duke of Fairleigh, longs for some way to escape the torment of his father’s crimes. In Mary’s warrior spirit and haunted gaze—which so mirrors his own—he finally sees his path to redemption. He will stop at nothing to keep her safe, even as she seeks revenge. But will the passion they discover in each other be enough to save them from their demons?

Review- Jo Rushton

So this weekend I have done two things that I haven't done for long time. Firstly, I read a paperback!! And secondly I read an historical romance!! I'm not sure that I would go back to the paperback but I would definitely read a historical romance again, especially if was by Maire Claremont. 

"The Lady in Red" was a passionate story full of twists and turns that had me at times on the edge of my seat. Mary had lived a brutal past, locked up in an asylum where she was badly treated. She managed to escape but she was scarred from her harrowing ordeal. Mary didn't know who to trust however she was in need of someone to help her but who would that person be...

Edward came along just at the right time. He was a rich Duke who  felt a connection with Mary and was determined to help her in her time of need. 

Two warring emotions brewed riotously within him. Sadness that her life had been so 
bleak and a sudden spark of hope. Perhaps she was the one who could shake him 
from his darkness. The one who could finally see justice done.

And so Edward helped Mary to recover, showing her care and attention that she had long since forgotten. He saved her, brought her back to life but did that mean they could live happily ever after? Unfortunately not because there were dangerous shadows lurking from the past, just waiting to pounce and when they did, would Edward be enough to save Mary from her demons? 

"Unspoken secrets hung around her like murderous ghosts, 
each one threatening to steal her life or mind away if she betrayed them." 

Mary's tragic past truly pulled on my hearts strings. I felt so sorry for her. Despite her traumatic experiences (with Edwards help) she fought through the nightmares and became determined to exact revenge. I loved how gutsy she became. Mary definitely had girl power! 

I loved Edward, he was everything that a women could want in a man. Rich. Sexy. Loving. Passionate. Edward (like Mary) also had demons of his own and he had me wandering what he was hiding. 

"It is refreshing to meet someone who might possibly understand my own history. 
Only you, Mary could understand the horror, the need to forget." 

Mary and Edward made a beautiful couple. I just loved how Edward cared for Mary, and Mary.. well she appeared to bring out a playful side to this man that was a joy to read. They shared some adorable moments together that had me swooning like crazy. 

"Until I met you, I was dead. But then, day by day, being with you, 
living with you, I have been awakening to happiness."

I thoroughly enjoyed being taken back in time with this story. I devoured it in one afternoon. The plot really captivated me and I just couldn't put my book down. I needed to know what the future held for Mary and Edward and I wasn't disappointed. Yes, there were some heart stopping moments but the story ended perfectly and the epilogue was just beautiful. 

If you looking for something different or want to be transported back in time to the days of Earls, Lady's and Dukes than I would recommend getting lost in a Maire Claremont book! 

Lady in Red gets 4 passionate hearts from me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment