Monday 30 June 2014

Review: Jamie McGuire's "Beautiful Oblivion (Maddox Brothers # 1)."

4 Hearts Review: Jamie McGuire's "Beautiful Oblivion (Maddox Brothers # 1)."

Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/1iLY8ry
Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1lrkVDq

Synopsis:

The Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster phenomenon continues in the first heart-pounding new adult romance in The Maddox Brothers series.

Fiercely independent Camille "Cami" Camlin gladly moved on from her childhood before it was over. She has held down a job since before she could drive, and moved into her own apartment after her freshman year of college. Now tending bar at The Red Door, Cami doesn’t have time for much else besides work and classes, until a trip to see her boyfriend is cancelled, leaving her with a first weekend off in almost a year.

Trenton Maddox was the king of Eastern State University, dating co-eds before he even graduated high school. His friends wanted to be him, and women wanted to tame him, but after a tragic accident turned his world upside down, Trenton leaves campus to come to grips with the crushing guilt. 

Eighteen months later, Trenton is living at home with his widower father, and works full-time at a local tattoo parlor to help with the bills. Just when he thinks his life is returning to normal, he notices Cami sitting alone at a table at The Red. 

As the baby sister of four rowdy brothers, Cami believes she’ll have no problem keeping her new friendship with Trenton Maddox strictly platonic. But when a Maddox boy falls in love, he loves forever—even if she is the only reason their already broken family could fall apart.

In the first installment of the Maddox Brothers books, readers can experience the rush of reading Beautiful Disaster for the first time, all over again.

Review: Surj Harvey

Shut the freakin' door!!! That did not just happen!!! The ending... what?!?! I've just had to jump start my heart... It actually stopped beating. OMG! .. Never? ... Really?... I had to do a double take... re read to make sure I got it all right!!! Uh huh!!! It was right alright... and so the penny finally dropped!!!! Yes I'd been a little slow on the uptake.... I didn't pick up on any of the signs... duh. That'll teach me to read so bloody fast!! Jamie McGuire, that was pure genius and it has rendered me speechless!!! Those Maddox brothers will definitely be the death of me!!! 

"I've had a lifetime of wrong. You're the only thing that's right." 

I'll be honest though, despite dying to get my hands on "Beautiful Oblivion," the story line didn't suck me in straight away. There seemed to be a lot of unnecessary detail that just didn't seem to amount to anything (that could be just me though). However, once I got to the nitty gritty of it all and once I discovered Cami had a secret, my interest suddenly piqued and I was 100% invested in the story. I scoured the pages for clues, for answers but came up with nothing, nada. Jamie McGuire was going to keep me waiting and it drove me crazy... my mind went into overdrive with all the possibilities... I was wrong on every count!!! But that's what made this book such an addictive read. 

Having read the "Beautiful Series," I knew the Maddox boys were bad ass!!! They liked their drink, their parties, they definitely enjoyed a scuffle here and there and they absolutely loved their women. Yup, they were a tad on the wild side that's for sure. And Trent.. well he was no different. But the minute he set his sights on Cami, he was a gonna. The fact that she had a boyfriend.. well that was just a minor glitch that would have no bearing on his pursuit of her whatsoever!!! Nope, he was an all or nothing, go big or go home kinda guy and even resorted to dirty tactics to get his girl (and more often than not, that was just laugh out loud hilarious). 

"Twent said he would take me to Chicken Joe's, but we can't go until you're weddy." ~ Olive
"I glared at him. "Oh, did he?" ~ Cami
Trenton simply shrugged and smiled. "Are you ready?" ~Trent
"Clearly not, but I'm guessing we shouldn't keep Olive waiting." ~Cami
"No you shouldn't." Trenton said. He didn't even pretend to feel ashamed. Bastard. 

It wasn't difficult for Trent to find a place in my heart. I loved everything about him. Of course he had the trademark looks, body and tattoos women would happily drop their panties for but it was the soft center that caught my eye. This man was passionate, he wasn't afraid to wear his heart on his sleeve and to top it off, he was very protective of those he loved (big sigh !!!). Couple that with a vulnerability, a fragility and I was all his (unfortunately I wasn't what he wanted.... damn shame!!!).

"The first time I saw you on the playground, I knew what beauty was. 
The first time you ignored me was my first broken heart. ... 
No one has ever wanted someone as much as I want you." 

So Cami's character left me torn. I really wanted to like her and boy did I try. I mean she was strong, fiercely independent, feisty, quite the firecracker and her sarcasm had me in stitches. However, she irritated the hell out of me with some of the decisions she made and more often than not I wanted to bang her head against a brick wall just to knock some sense into her!!! I mean really? Could she not see what was blatantly obvious to the rest of us? Grrr!!! 

“Have you ever wanted something that you knew you shouldn’t have? 
That it was wrong on every level, but you knew you needed it?”

The romance between Trent and Cami was definitely a slow builder... there was no instant relationship or instant love which was perfect for the direction the story line was heading in. However, the minute a platonic friendship was formed, I couldn't help but get giddy with excitement. Unfortunately even that wasn't plain sailing because Trent kept trying to pushing the boundaries (you gotta love that boy for his persistence) and Cami... well she was just torn between right and wrong, guilt eating away at her. Be prepared to go on quite the angst filled journey with this couple because nothing is quite as it seems and so often you'll want to chuck your kindle at the wall out of sheer frustration!!! 

“I was just thinking now was as good a time as any to acknowledge that you’re perfect 
and it wouldn’t suck if you fell madly in love with me anytime soon.”

“I have a boyfriend.”

“Speed bump.”

What you want to happen and what actually happens will probably make you want to throw the mother of all tantrums and yes, I did sulk a couple of times!!! What can I say? I'm a hopeless romantic who loves a HEA and when that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon, the dummy gets thrown out of the pram!!! 

The timings of "Beautiful Oblivion" were just perfect and if you loved "Beautiful Disaster", be prepared to re visit some of your favourite scenes from the book and knock shoulders with the characters you've grown to know and love. The two stories take place side by side and so Travis, Shepley and Abby all made appearances. Rest assured though, that didn't detract from Trent and Cami's story in any way, shape or form. If anything, it added to it, making it all the more more realistic. 

If you loved the "Beautiful" Series, you'll love this book. I didn't always like the direction the book took or the decisions some of the characters made but hey, if it was all hearts and flowers, that' would have made for a pretty boring read don't ya think? With the mother of all endings (no, don't worry there's no cliffy), I'm now itching for next Maddox brothers book and it really can't come soon enough. 

"I'm it for you. I know because you're it for me." ~Trent

I rated "Beautiful Oblivion" 4 Hearts



No comments:

Post a Comment