Friday 13 June 2014

5 Hearts Review: Lesley Jones "Carnage (Carnage # 1)."

5 Hearts Review: Lesley Jones "Carnage (Carnage # 1)."

Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/1mI0dkU
Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1u7mQny

Synopsis:

I love him, from the instant I set eyes on him when I was just 11 years old I have loved him and nothing will ever change that, he owns me, he owns my heart and he owns my body and no matter how many lies are told, no matter how many people conspire to keep us apart, despite the fame and the distance, we will find a way.

"Georgia Rae, when we made love you used to cry" ... He waits for me to sing my bit. I try to swallow down a sob but I just end up singing through it...
"I said I love you like the stars above, I'll love you till I die"

Carnage is an edgy coming of age love story that breaks all the rules and transcends the decades. Georgia and Sean's story will stay with you long after you read the final word. 
An emotional, smoking hot, gut wrenching read.

This is part #1 of a 2 part story but can be read as a stand alone.

Review: Surj Harvey

I'm done. I'm exhausted, I'm broken, I feel ruined for any other book. Lesley Jones "Carnage" is a story that will stay with me for a long time. The author well and truly pushed the boundaries with this one, she crossed the line, she pissed a few people off with some of the content, she definitely upset a few with the ending and she absolutely had me questioning my moral integrity..... but I just loved everything about Georgia and Sean's story. 

Having read the first chapter, I just knew that this was one book that I was going to get completely lost in for a few hours and that's exactly what happened. Georgia Rae had me from the minute she uttered the words below and from then on, it was like we were best friends: 

I was eleven years old, but I knew without a shadow of a doubt 
I was staring into the eyes of the boy I was going to love forever. 

Georgia and Sean were star crossed lovers thrown together by destiny... torn apart by fate!!!! They thought their love would last forever, that it was indestructible, that it was them against the world and nothing and no one could penetrate their perfect bubble. How wrong could they be because life could be a bitch of the worst kind and the love this couple shared would be tested beyond belief, not once but time and time again. Their story wasn't an easy one to read... in fact it hurt like a bitch more often than not and by the time I'd finished, my nerves were well and truly shredded, my heart smashed into tiny fragments never to be whole again!!! Yes this book will affect you that much!!! 

I'm fifteen years old, he's seventeen and there's nothing we don't know about love and life, 
we have it all worked out. 

Despite their faults, I couldn't help but love the characters. I know I shouldn't, especially with some of the things they did but I couldn't help it. Yes they made mistakes, yes they made foolish decisions, did things that made me want to slap some sense into them but the guilt they felt afterwards, their honesty at times just made them so real for me, so relatable and that's what made me want to fight their corner. 

My world stops spinning, the little man lays his last brick and my heart stops beating the way 
it used to, it's enclosed safely behind a wall now, so it doesn't feel, it doesn't love, it doesn't 
care anymore, it's only use is to keep me alive and I really don't care if it bothers to do that. 

Spanning a couple of decades, "Carnage" transported me back to the 80's and 90's: two of my favourite eras. Couple that with the fact that it was also set in the UK, and I truly felt that I was home. So much about this book felt familiar, so much of it bringing back memories of  years gone by making me grin like a Cheshire cat as I worked my way through the pages.  

The writing in "Carnage" was engaging, so much so that it honestly felt like Georgia was talking to me, having an open, honest and very frank conversation about her life and that really helped me connect with the story line and the characters. I know there have been complaints about the grammar, spelling etc but to be honest, although I did notice some errors, none of them were so significant that they detracted from my enjoyment of the story. I don't think anything could do that!!!! Like I said, it was that good!!! 


"You Gia are a flirt, but one day, one day it will be our turn. Our time."

As I mentioned previously, this book covered a time span of many years, yet despite this, the story never felt rushed or forced. Every event, every little detail added something to make this story what it was and even when there were several years worth of gaps in the time frame, I never once felt like I'd missed out on vital pieces of information. Each chapter, regardless of the date fitted perfectly with the previous one. 

"Carnage" was a prime example of love and heart ache going hand in hand. It was a beautiful yet tragic love story that had me laughing, crying and even sobbing at one point... trust me, have tissues at the ready because you'll need them. There aren't many books that affect me the way "Carnage" did and I know I'll be thinking about the story and the characters for many days to come. I couldn't rate this book anything less than 5 hearts.... I'd give it more if I could. And I couldn't end my review without sharing my favourite line:

"I love ya Georgia Rae, show us your tits." 


1 comment:

  1. I love this book I hate this book. I know all women don't have to give birth but two loose two baby's HER husband and then her female parts it's to much for me. PLEASE DON'T JUDGE ME MY DAUGHTER LIVED A WEEK WITH A HEART EFFECT AND WE LOST HER. ITS TO MUCH FOR ME I STILL FEEL THIS BOOK AND MY HEART ACHES I HAVE TO KEEP TELLING MYSELF THIS IS NOT REAL. FOR ME I NEED THAT HAPPY ENDING AND I KNOW MAYBE HER HAPPINESS WILL BE IN THE NEXT BOOK.

    ReplyDelete