Friday, 11 April 2014

Review: Melanie Harlow's "Frenched."

Frenched
Review: Melanie Harlow's "Frenched."

Amazon UK:   http://amzn.to/R67LVs
Amazon.com:  http://amzn.to/Q9F9JD

Synopsis:

When Tucker Branch, playboy heir to Branch Bolt and Screw, screws and bolts a week before their wedding, Mia Devine wants nothing more than to crawl under her newly monogrammed sheets and plan a funeral for her dignity. But her friends convince her that bitter tastes better when it’s drowned in Bordeaux, so Mia grits her teeth and packs her bags, determined to make the best of her luxurious Paris honeymoon—alone.

She never planned on meeting Lucas Fournier.

The easygoing bartender’s scruffy good looks and less-than-sympathetic ear annoy her at first, but when she takes him up on his offer to show her around the city, she discovers that the romance of Paris isn’t just a myth.

Nor is the simultaneous O. 

The last thing Mia needs is another doomed love affair, but since she only has a week, she figures she might as well enjoy la vie en O with Lucas while she can. But each day—and night—with Lucas is better than the last, and suddenly her heart is telling her this is more than a rebound fling.

Is it just the seduction of Paris…or could this be the real thing?

Review: Kirsty Lander:

This book started out so well for me, but somehow fell short along the way. 

In the beginning I was hooked. I loved the whole idea of the jilted bride (how sick am I?) and wondered how any woman would cope with that. So already, I was interested in the story. When I figured out that the story would take the not-so-much bride to be to Paris, I was even more excited. I will read about a story set anywhere, it doesn't bother me, but when a story is set somewhere like Paris, it seems to make it all the more special. I was excited.

For the first 30% or so I was zooming through the chapters. I loved where the story had gone so far. A woman so set in her ways, who has to have everything just so, embarks on a trip (that should have been her honeymoon!) all alone. What's not to love? And of course I am forgetting the fact that she meets a gorgeous guy on her first night. It really was a great story.. but this is also where it lost its appeal for me a little. 

I don't really like insta-love at the best of times and it turns out I like it even less when both parties have recently come out of serious relationships. Particularly Mia, who's wedding was only called off a week or so before. I just felt like everything happened WAY too fast and feelings were being felt far too early, for their circumstances. From the moment Mia meets Lucas, the gorgeous guy, she seems to turn in to a completely different character than the girl we previously knew. There's no more moping about her ruined (near) marriage, it was almost as if it was all forgotten. 

Another small issue I had was the 'humour' throughout the book. Perhaps I am just a miserable girl as of late (I seem to find funny books.. not funny), but the one liners and parts that I'm sure were meant to be funny, just weren't. Mia's list making and 'quirkiness' when it came to having things just so didn't work for me, I found it pretty annoying and not endearing. 

Ok so I thought of another grumble LOL. The ending! I wanted so much more. Seeing as I made it to the end, I felt like I should have been rewarded with some kind of insight in to the future of Mia and Lucas. Did they work, how long form where did they live, did they marry, have children? It may be greedy but I wanted to know it all. Instead I really got nothing. 

I am wondering if maybe I just read this book at the wrong time because I know plenty of others loved it. It just didn't really work for me.
I rated "Frenched" 3 Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment