Saturday 26 April 2014

Review: LB Simmon's "The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller."

Review of LB Simmons "The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller."

Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/1iQQ0TR
Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1roUILf

Synopsis:

****WARNING - Due to the graphic nature of some scenes, this book is not recommended for those who are particularly sensitive to the death of a child and/or suicide.****

Death. 

For some, it’s simply one of life’s certainties, nothing more. For others, it’s merely a fleeting thought, one often overshadowed by the reckless delusion that they have been blessed with the gift of immortality. 

For Aubrey Miller, death is the definition of her very existence. Overcome with the guilt resulting from the loss of her beloved family, she alters her appearance from the once beautiful, blonde-haired, blue-eyed little girl to that of one shrouded in complete darkness, enveloping herself in her own unbreakable fortress of solitude as a form of protection for others.

As she enters her first year of college, her goal is simple: Earn a degree with the least amount of social interaction as possible. What she never anticipates is the formation of very unlikely relationships with two people who will change her life in ways she never believed possible: Quinn Matthews, the boisterous former pageant queen, and Kaeleb McMadden, a childhood friend from her past who never really let her go.

Over the years, as their connections intertwine and grow, a seemingly indestructible bond is formed between the three…

But when death painfully reemerges, Aubrey is lost once again, burying herself deeper than ever before inside the familiar fortification of her fears.

Will the refuge of friendship, the solidarity of life-long bonds, and the power of unconditional love be enough to do the impossible?

Will they be enough to finally bring about…

The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller?

Review: Surj Harvey

At the moment I seem to be on a real lucky streak when it comes to reading brilliant books and "The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller" was no exception. The story line was unique and although initially I thought it would be a somber read, I was completely wrong. Yes there were parts that left me saddened, heart broken, in floods of tears but for the most part, this was quite the uplifting read. I found myself smiling, giggling and even laughing out loud at the characters and their antics and trust me, when I read the synopsis, I wasn't expecting to do any of those things. This book was about self discovery, the power of friendship, it was about unconditional love and it was about embracing the gift of life. LB Simmons truly wrote a powerful and engaging story that was not difficult to get lost in. 


The simplicity of living astounds me. But it's the terror of death that devours me. 

"The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller" told the story of three individuals who formed the unlikeliest of friendships. Three individuals who (on the surface) appeared so different, yet peel back the layers and they had more in common than they could ever imagine. Each of them broken in some way and each of them choosing to deal with this in their own way. 

Aubrey Miller was one tough cookie... or so it appeared.  One look at her and most people ran in the opposite direction... but that's exactly what she wanted. She hid under a mask of goth makeup, bizarre contact lenses and crazy colored hair dye. In fact she even changed her name... to Raven!!! Oh yes, she wanted to be the freak that everyone steered clear of because that meant her worst fear couldn't come true. You see, Aubrey felt that everyone who got close to her met their untimely deaths.... 

... the curse of death can be broken by the power of love. But I know in my heart that it won't be. 
Because I know now, I am death and I bring it to all who love me. 

Aubrey's story was such a sad one and bit by bit, I was given flashbacks to events that had caused her to be the way she was. It was heart breaking and I could completely see why she wanted to protect those around her. Of course it was irrational but when you've been through everything she had, suddenly keeping people at a distance seemed the most logical thing in the world. Despite her morose personality though, this girl had a wicked sense of humour... it was dry as a bone but boy did her inner dialogue and her one liners have me in stitches. 

What Aubrey wasn't banking on when she moved to college was to have a room mate who was larger than life, who was a pageant queen and who loved the colour pink!!!! Everything was pink!!! It was brilliant. How could anyone not love Quinn's character. She was just beautiful, bubbly, loving and so none judgmental it was untrue. 


"I learned a long time ago to never judge a book by its cover. It seems what people try to 
represent on the outside very rarely mirrors their inside. Beautiful people tend to be ugly, 
ugly people tend to be beautiful. Nothing is ever really what it seems."

Quinn was such a giving character and a complete hopeless romantic and when she offered Aubrey the hand of friendship, she was not going to take no for an answer. But very quickly, I realised Quinn too had her secrets. It wasn't difficult to work out but it wasn't easy reading either. Inside this girl was screaming for help but the words never came. Her character completely floored me because despite her own pain, she remained selfless to the end. 

So who was the third musketeer in this trio?  Kaeleb McMadden of course and the minute Aubrey laid eyes on him, a memory she had kept hidden for so long came flooding back. This was the guy who had been her best friend when she was a child. Of course he didn't recognise her.. she was different now plus her face was caked in makeup hiding all signs of the person she had once been. Kaelab was just brilliant and just what the doctor had ordered for Aubrey. He was genuine, kind, caring, witty and absolutely persistent. She could fight it all she wanted but this man was not going anywhere. He had every intention of being her friend whether she liked it or not (and more often than not, she didn't like it). 

Very early on, I saw a bond form between Aubrey, Quinn and Kaelab and I loved seeing this friendship flourish. What they shared was special and would see each of them through some of the hardest times of their lives. Yes this book was told from Aubrey's POV but for me, that didn't make the stories of the other two characters any less important. In fact if anything, their stories added depth to what was already a truly emotional read. 


I know my life has been altered for the first time in ten years, I've finally found my way 
onto a new path. One that isn't completely saturated in darkness and fear, 
but dimly lit with new found courage and optimism. 
As I cautiously take the first step, a splinter of hope ignites in my heart. 

I loved the journey each of these characters took and the valuable lessons they learnt along the way. It wasn't always easy and there were moments where they completely lost their way. But it was those darker days that would help them to see the light. 

If you're looking for romance, you'll definitely find an element of it within the pages but it is secondary to everything else. Don't worry, what unfolds is just beautiful and heart warming and will definitely make you feel giddy for the characters involved. You'll find yourself rooting for them, you're heart going into overdrive as this connection develops slowly yet perfectly. 


"... we're two people, so hopelessly intertwined, that without one, the other ceases to fully exist. 
You call me your moon, well, I call you my soul mate."

There were so many touches added to this book that really helped bring the story to life and make it different. Aubrey's levels for her memory bin, her flash backs, the five stages of grief (didn't that one take me back to my nursing days!!!) and Professor Palmer who just stole my heart. OK so he resembled Santa Clause but who cares ... it was his role in this book that left me with a warm, fuzzy feeling!!! 

I loved this book. Yes it took me on the mother of emotional roller coaster rides but it was worth every ounce of pain I felt, every bit of heart ache the characters went through. I laughed with them, cried for them and I rejoiced with them. This was a heart felt story and I rated it  4.5 Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment