Tuesday 7 January 2014

Review: Michelle. A. Valentine's "Rock the Beat (Black Falcon Series #3)."

Review: Michelle. A. Valentine's "Rock the Beat."

~ 3.5 Hearts Review ~

Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/18XEZNX
Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/JJpBJ3

Synopsis:

Twenty-year-old Holly Pearson never dreamed that while working at her father’s motocross track she’d run into the walking, talking definition of trouble in a sexy, tattooed package—Trip Douglas, the man sent to evaluate the track for a possible investment opportunity. Holly makes no attempt to hide the fact she despises Trip, but she learns to be civil toward him when he offers to help her land the man of her dreams. 

Trip needs a break from the crazy rock-and-roll lifestyle he’s been living for the past few years. With his Black Falcon band mates settling down with marriage and babies, Trip peruses an investment opportunity in motocross, something he’s always been passionate about. Hiding his celebrity status, Trip infiltrates the new business posing as a dirt bike rider training for the X-Games. The only obstacle is the owner’s daughter, Holly. She’s a real ball bustin' Ice Queen, and she’ll do whatever it takes to make the deal fall through. Trip soon discovers that winning over his new enemy is the key to gaining a partnership in Mountain Time Speed Track.

Knowing he’s the expert on getting laid, Trip ropes Holly into becoming his ally by helping her score a date with the man she’s crushing on. The problem is, the more time Trip and Holly spend together, the more they uncover the undeniable attraction between them. Soon they both realize that even the best laid plans go to hell when you find you’re falling in love with the enemy.

**Book THREE in the Black Falcon series. Can also be read as a stand alone novel.**

Review: Surj Harvey

I'm a huge fan of Michelle. A. Valentine's "Black Falcon Series." Noel and Riff's books were 5 heart reads for me so imagine how excited I was to be getting Trip's book. Unfortunately it absolutely guts me to say but this one just didn't cut the mustard. Please don't shoot me!!! Just hear me out. The story itself was good but I have to say I did miss all the shenanigans that went with the band and the rock star lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, there was still drama but not the sort that had my insides tangled up. 

A couple of the sub plots were equally OK with the author covering some very serious, yet sensitive subject matters which she handled with the due care and attention they deserved. However one of the sub plots drove me bat shit crazy and that was the situation involving Holly and Jackson. I tried to understand Holly, I know she was young. Yes I was aware Jackson was her first and only love. Yup I tried every avenue to justify her behaviour but I just couldn't find a way for it to sit right in my mind and still take to her character. See, Jackson and Holly had been together a couple of years and he was definitely the one she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. Sounds great right? So then he stands her up on their two year anniversary to go to a party and get wasted. Are the warning bells sounding?  That night he decides he's going to confess all... yup he cheated on her whilst she was away at college and he no longer loves her. OK so she was devastated... understandable of course but I'd be thinking lucky escape. Well Holly didn't follow my train of thought. Oh no... Holly decided she wanted to get Jackson back and she would enlist Trip to aid her in her mission!!! WTF???? "He just told you he slept with other people and he no longer loves you!!! Wake up and smell the coffee!!!" Frustration doesn't even come close to how I felt during the scenes that followed!!!! Aarrrggghhh!!!! She needed a good shaking and a very good talking to!!! 


"After we punish Jackson enough, and I decide to take him back, we can go on as real friends."

Now Trip on the other hand was the band aid that helped make reading this book better. See he was all rock star and tattoos with a body to die for and a personality that oozed confidence. I liked him in the other Black Falcon books but in "Rock the Beat" I well and truly fell in love with him. I mean who wouldn't, he was the Orgasm king after all. His sense of humour was first class and add to the mix his wit and charm and I was a gonna. 

I loved the battle he fought when it came to Holly. This guy saw reason (well, of sorts anyway) ... he was at the track undercover... he wasn't famous... he was looking to invest into his future.... he could not get involved sexually or otherwise with this girl!!!! Wow now that made a change for Trip Douglas because more often than not his nether regions overruled his head!!!! Lol. OK so he still ogled her... OK so they may have had a fumble here and there ... So maybe she was slowly starting to get under his skin!!! Who'd have thought it!! I loved seeing the change in him when it came to Holly. He really was starting to care for her and couldn't bare to see that jack ass taking advantage.


Opening my self up to someone isn't something I believed would ever happen again-
that is until Holly. There's something about her that feels like home and is safe, 
and she makes me want to love someone again. Being with her is changing me.

The sexual tension between Trip and Holly was there right from the start of "Rock the Beat" but waiting for some action almost killed me. 40% later and I got a fumble!!! Yes a mere fumble that was rudely interrupted!!! I wanted good old fashioned rock star dirty sex and at one point I felt like a child having a tantrum. Well all good things come to those who wait because at 50%, I got some very HOT, toe curling action!!! Holy moly it all fell in to place... Trip Douglas was not lying when he said he was the orgasm king!!!! 


"The first time I fuck you, it's going to be fast. I won't last once I'm inside you. 
I've waited too damn long. There's no way I can hold back. But the second time I'm going 
to go slow, so I can savor every inch of that beautiful body of yours." 

So overall, "Rock the Beat" was a good book but unfortunately not a great book. The writing was still great and I loved seeing the band again (albeit for the last 10% of the story!!!). I'm looking forward to Trip's novella because for me, this book finished far too quickly and at 90% too!!! Again I was gutted.... I turned the page again and again  but nothing... it was an abrupt end which did give closure and a HEA but it was just far too sudden for my liking!!! 

Sorry guys but the scores on the doors for "Rock the Beat" are 3.5 Hearts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment