Monday 27 January 2014

Review: Deanna Roy's "Forever Loved (The Forever Series # 2)."

Review: Deanna Roy's "Forever Loved (The Forever Series # 2."

~3 Hearts Review ~ 

Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/1fgf7Qi
Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1gH87JD

Synopsis:

“How do I tell the woman I love that I fathered a son with a prostitute?”

After four long years of separation, Gavin has finally reunited with his childhood love Corabelle. She’s forgiven him for leaving her during the funeral of their seven-day-old baby, and also for where he ended up — in Mexico to get a vasectomy.

A message from Rosa, a prostitute he met the day of his surgery, brings his life to a crashing halt. She claims Gavin has fathered a son, now three years old and living with her cousin in Ensenada. He doesn’t know if he can trust Rosa, who never mentioned the boy before, or if his delicate reconciliation with Corabelle can withstand the shock if it is true.

Corabelle believes their future together is the right thing despite their past. But when she learns of this other child, the one thing she lost long ago and might never have again with Gavin, Corabelle’s faith that her life will ever follow her old dream is shattered. To make things right for Gavin and his son, she just might have to let go of the only person she always believed would be her forever love.

Forever Loved is the heart-wrenching conclusion to the passionate story that began with Forever Innocent.

Review: Surj Harvey


"Forever Innocent" was such a beautiful yet heart breaking book that had me in floods of tears. Corabelle and Gavin story was so much more than just a second chance romance. It was about coming to terms with the loss of a child, it was about grieving and it was about redemption. The ending of the first book in the series left me a complete mess. It wasn't all hearts and flowers as I said in my review but it was hopefully the start of a journey that would get them as close to a HEA as they would ever get.

"I'll love you all of my life," he whispered.

So how did this sequel "Forever Loved" fair? I'll be completely honest. I was a little bummed that the synopsis was changed to reveal details about a child Gavin had possibly fathered through Rosa the Prostitute. This story line played such a huge part in the book and I felt as if I'd been cheated out of that whole "OMG I never saw that coming, heart rate goes through the roof... how could you be so f**king stupid, blood starts to boil, heart breaks for Corabelle" moment. I think because I was prepared for it from the outset, I kinda felt a little disconnected from the whole plot and I didn't want that. I wanted to feel all the emotions the various characters went through when they discovered the secret, the angst, the pain, the tears but I didn't get any of that. Don't get me wrong, it was a great twist but the element of surprise whilst reading the book would have really been the icing on the cake for me.

"You've got to see the irony of this. You stick with hookers for years to avoid entanglements, 
and you end up with the biggest sand trap of them all." 

This book wasn't a walk in the park when it came to Corabelle and Gavin (both as individuals and as a couple). Despite everything they'd had to endure, there were still so many hoops they had to jump through. The biggie was the one already mentioned but there were so many others. Life wasn't getting easier any time soon. These sub plots kept me reading and I hoped that at some point I'd see some light at the end of the tunnel for these two. 

The relationship between Gavin and Corabelle remained Fragile. It wasn't their feelings for each other that made it this way though. Oh no, their love for one another wasn't in question. It was more their reactions to different situations and events and whether what they shared would be enough to see them through the difficult times they faced. 

Of all the things I could have imagined, Gavin having a child with another woman 
was the biggest nightmare. The worst, irrevocable. Unfixable. Life altering. 

I saw Gavin try so hard to be a rock for Corabelle. She was his priority now and she would always come first. He was making up for lost time and it was beautiful to read, He couldn't let her down... he wouldn't and some of the scenes just melted my heart. 

In Corabelle, I saw a real strength. Yes there were moments where it would be easier to go back to her old methods of coping with everything but instead, I saw her face her demons and that took guts. 

Although an enjoyable read, I have to say, the story line was a little slow at times. I was desperate for Corabelle to find out about Rosa but it didn't come until over 60% in which kinda sucked. I wanted the whole explosion and drama that went with it but for me, it fell a little short. Maybe this was another sign of Corabelle becoming a stronger person? I don't know... I'm just clutching at straws. 

Corabelle and Gavin did get their HEA which was great. It wasn't perfect but then with their past and everything else that was thrown at them, it was never going to be. The next book in the series will focus on Tina. I can't wait to hear her story and we did get an inkling as to the direction it might take. I also hope at some point we get Jenny's story too. I loved her character and she definitely brought some much needed humour to the story. 

"We're a team this time. Life is just as hard as it was at the other two star parties 
but this time we're in it together."

So overall, I've rated this book 3 Hearts but I guess "Forever Innocent" was always going to take some beating when it came to tugging at those old heart strings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment