Thursday 14 November 2013

Review: R'K Lilley's "Mile High (Up in the Air # 2)"

@Authorrklilley
Review: R.K Lilley's "Mile High (Up in the Air # 2)."

~ 4 Hearts Review ~

Amazon UK:      http://amzn.to/1dwENDY
Amazon.com:     http://amzn.to/16RMsYy

Synopsis:


James and Bianca’s tumultuous story continues in the sequel to In Flight.

James has initiated Bianca into a dark and drugging world of passion and pain. He taught her about her own submissive, masochistic nature, and she fell swiftly and deeply in love with the undeniably charming and impossibly beautiful Mr. Cavendish, but a painful misunderstanding and the return of the brutally violent demon of her past have combined to overwhelm Bianca, and, confused and hurt, she pushes him away. 


It’s been over a month since the shocking attack that hospitalized her, and since she told a distraught James that she needed space, but her feelings haven’t gone away. Even she knew that it was only a matter of time before he would cast his spell on her again…

Review: Surj Harvey

"Mile High" began a month after "In Flight" finished, with Bianca getting the time out she'd needed but with James trying hard to make immense for so many things... for not being able to protect her from her past, his past and the vultures that had lay in wait.  In that respect, it was inevitable where the story would go because what these two had tasted in a life with each other would not be so easy to move on from: 

“No one else can do this for you, Bianca. Don’t ever even consider it. You were made for me.” 

And so the rollercoaster ride began but this time everything was different. James Cavendish was still as hot as ever, especially when his dominant side surfaced but I saw so much more of a vulnerable side to him. This relationship was a complete first for him but it was what he wanted... and so in true James Cavendish style, he would move mountains to get it. James was pulling out all the stops, he was bearing his sole and he was making compromise after compromise just so that  he could have Bianca in his life and it was that side of his character that just tugged at the heart strings. He was honest every step of the way about his feelings and his intentions:

"You're my angel, Bianca. You've exorcised my demons. I don't have nightmares when I'm with you.I don't have to work seventy hour work weeks to keep my mind distracted. 
My life has become more than work and emotionless affairs. You make me a better man. 

However, there were still the other thirty four sides to his personality that continued to surface and that's what kept this man so appealing. He was alpha male through and through, possessive, controlling, dominating but still kind, caring, loving, protective and even gentle... yes I said gentle. 

So let's talk Bianca. I was so conflicted with my feelings towards this woman. One minute she was bugging the hell out of me, the next, I was kinda feeling sorry for her... see what a contradiction!!!! Bianca continued to fight James trying to label what they had. It scared the living crap out of her and her gut instinct continued to push towards running. When James was so open about what he wanted from their relationship and when he was so touching about the things they'd done, she just had to go and ruin the moment:

"Have you ever done that before?"
"Made love on horseback?"
"Fucked someone on horseback," I corrected.
"Please don't try to demean what we just shared."

It was moments like this that drove me bat shit crazy. 

Bianca also had a vulnerable, insecure side though and trying to form any kind of relationship (even if it was going to be a physical one) was proving so hard. This was all new to her... the relationship, the sex, someone wanting to map out a future together with her... it was all so alien and to top it off, at every turn she was faced with Jame's past... and what a technicolored past that was. With his life style choices, his ex's coming out of the wood work and the paparazzi all after their pound of flesh, all of that would have left me wanting to retreat back to the woods!!! At 80%, my heart completely went out to this girl as my anger flared at the situation she found herself in. Have you ever read a part in a book where you feel like your chest is on fire and your head ready to explode, well that was it for me. 

This book was more about the exploring the possibility of a relationship (both physical and otherwise) for these two and the plots that surfaced towards the end of "In Flight" took a back burner. Don't get me wrong, every now and again, there were rumblings but nothing major came to light until right at the end. 

A wave of sadness rocked me. I was supposed to be the innocent one here, 
but I simply couldn't trust James in the way he seemed to trust me. The very idea was 
impossible to me. I didn't even trust my own feelings. Every emotion he made me feel 
was met with my reluctance, my skepticism, and my doubt. 

Bianca and James were testing the boundaries when it came to the emotional side of their connection but when it came to the physical side, there seemed to be no stopping them. They stepped over every single line, pushing to see how far they could go, and boy did they try things even I would say were extreme. I had to keep reminding myself, this was the very nature of their relationship. However, James always respected Bianca and if she said no, it meant no. He had no intention of losing her again.

This book didn't end on a relationship cliff hanger although they still have a good way to go before what they share can even come close to resembling a solid relationship. There were still so many unanswered questions  and in terms of drama, it was this that gave us the cliff hanger this time. I can't wait for the final installment. My major bug bear though, was the cost of this ebook: £4.47 which is expensive. 
I rated "Mile High" 4 Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment