Friday 8 November 2013

Review: R.K Lilley's "In Flight (Up in the Air # 1)"

Review: R.K Lilley's "In Flight (Up in the Air # 1). 

~4 Hearts Review ~

Amazon UK:      http://amzn.to/1hujkOC
Amazon.com:     http://amzn.to/19bCWUi

Goodreads:        http://bit.ly/16mrSCr

Synopsis:

When reserved flight attendant Bianca gets one look at billionaire hotel owner James Cavendish, she loses all of her hard-won composure. For a girl who can easily juggle a tray of champagne flutes at 35,000 feet in three inch heels, she finds herself shockingly weak-kneed from their first encounter. The normally unruffled Bianca can't seem to look away from his electrifying turquoise gaze. They hold a challenge, and a promise, that she finds impossible to resist, and she is a girl who is used to saying no and meaning it.

Bianca is accustomed to dealing with supermodels and movie stars in her job as a first class flight attendant, but James Cavendish puts them all to shame in the looks department. If only it were just his looks that she found so irresistible about the intimidating man, Bianca could have ignored his attentions. But what tempts her like never before is the dominant pull he seems to have over her from the moment they meet, and the promise of pleasure, and pain, that she reads in his eyes.

Review: Surj Harvey

OK so I'm going to be brutally honest... I really struggled with "In Flight" to begin with. I think it was a mixture of the writing style and the fact that the story seemed so rushed and a little forced. The characters weren't doing anything to help matters either. I'd heard all these amazing things about the "Beautiful" Mr Cavendish and I just wasn't seeing it. What the hell was I missing? Was I blind? 

Well at some point (I couldn't even tell you at which point) but at some point, I got completely and utterly sucked in. Mr Cavendish had reeled me in without me even realising it and I couldn't wait to get to the start of each chapter to see which side of him I would see next. 

Mr James Archibald Basil Cavendish, The Third was a complete enigma and I just couldn't figure him out. What I did know was that this man was panty dropping hot and the words that left his mouth more often than not had my heart racing:

"I'm going to ruin you," he breathed. "I'll be your first, and i'll fuck you so thoroughly
 that I'll be your last too. You won't want any other man after I've got my hands on you. 
Every last inch of you." 

Now how could any girl turn down an offer like that? 

As I peeled back the layers of his personality, I suddenly felt myself drawn to him. He was a walking, talking contradiction and all in all, I saw thirty five different sides to him, every single one so completely different to the next. He could be possessive, jealous and controlling but in the same breath, I saw someone who was affectionate, romantic, gentle and even sensitive. 

So many questions swirled around in my head regarding Mr Cavendish ... why the secrecy regarding their relationship? Where did the scars come from? What were those demons he was hiding and why was he so reluctant to discuss his past? I wanted inside James Cavendish's head but unfortunately  that wasn't going to happen because "In Flight" was told from Bianca's POV. And so I would have to wait just like the characters in the book!!! NOT HAPPY!!!! 

And so we come to Bianca... another closed book when it came to her past but it was this that had shaped the person she was. She had strength in character but in the same breath, she had a vulnerable side, just like most girls her age. Insecurities about her body, the relationship and also the fear of rejection often played on her mind. The more I got to know her, the more I connected with her. 

Bianca tried so hard not to let her feelings get in the way of whatever was happening between her and James, even trying to convince herself it was just sex:

So I would do it. I would have sex. I would satisfy my curiosity, 
and then I would get back to my normal life. 

It was so simple not to put any emotion into it all.... to remain detached... yeah right, who was she trying to kid! 

The relationship between Bianca and James was hot... as in kinky hot and that fourth floor... I was only given a small glimpse into one of the rooms but my curiosity definitely got the better of me because now I want to know what lies behind the remaining doors!  But it wasn't just sex they shared. It had become so much more... there just wasn't a label for what they shared yet:

It was hard to remember that we weren't supposed to feel anything for each other 
when he looked at me like I was more important than his next breath. 

"In Flight" had me reading frantically once I hit 83% because that was a twist I hadn't expected and that's when I suddenly found myself furious at Mr Cavendish. After that revelation, it was like a snowball effect when it came the drama and I just couldn't put the book down. Yes there's a cliff hanger but no, not a major one... something along the lines of FSOG. 

The actual style of the writing in this book is something that I initially struggled with and throughout the story, I did find there was a lot of uneccesary detail where I just wanted the author to get down to the nitty gritty. I couldn't give a rats ass about the exact detail of the breakfast they shared, just move on to the spanking for god's sake (OK so that's a slight exageration but you get my drift). 

All in all, "In Flight" definitely grew on me and I can't wait to see the direction R.K Lilley takes this story in.  I rated this book 4 Hearts

“Will you be my submissive?” he whispered in my ear.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment