Wednesday 13 November 2013

Review: Dawn Robertson's "Hers."

@KirstyLBooks     @EroticaDawn
Review: Dawn Robertson's "Hers."

~3.5 Hearts ~

Synopsis:

I am weak.
I am lonely.
I am a slut.
I am strong.
I am Dominant.
I am independent.
I am Seven James.

My entire life, no one has wanted me, and that was fine, because I sure as shit didn't need anyone else. Blah, Blah Blah, insert sad story here about negligent parents, and shitty siblings, and you have my life story in a nut shell. When my college boyfriend dumped me, it was just icing on the cake. Five years, and a booming career later I am here to collect my revenge.

That was until a delicious plaything walked into the kink club I frequent, and rocked my typically un-rockable world. Causing me to break the one rule I have lived by since Daniel Alexander walked out of my life, never have sex with the same person twice. Ever.

Warning!!!! Hers contains sexually explicit situations that may be uncomfortable for some. These include FF, FMF, and MFM interactions.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18484371-hers?from_search=true

Review: Kirsty Lander

I'm just going to get my little big grumble out of the way first. What was with that editing, or lack of? Within the first 2% of the book I had already highlighted 3 different parts where the wrong tense had been used. I thought surely this is not going to last the whole book.. it does, and with a lot of other issues too. I can normally overlook an issue or mistake here and there, nobody is perfect, but when there is something multiple times through a chapter, it's hard to concentrate on the actual story line and it loses some of it's greatness.

Aside from all that.. I really enjoyed the story. I whizzed through it, both because of the shorter size and because I couldn't wait to see where it went. Seven James was an... interesting character to say the least. I'm not sure I could compare her to any others out there, she's pretty unique. She's had the sort of life we are used to reading in these books.. her family didn't really want her, she's been hurt by her ex and she's all but given up on love, apart from when it comes to her best friend, Star, who she occasionally sleeps with. Like I said, she's interesting. 

"Who's that guy sitting at your table?"
"Fresh meat, my love. Fresh fucking meat."

Fresh meat comes in the form of Levi. I liked Levi from the off.. he challenged Seven and didn't let her pull her usual 'sleep with them once, and never again' crap with him. He was persistent, he wouldn't give up and eventually it paid off. For both of them. I loved everything about the two characters separately, and together. I have no complaints there.

"When there is something I want, I get it. And I want you. I want you all the time. 
I want what we had Wednesday night. I want more. And I will get it."

The book has a great story line, in my opinion. There is plenty going on, a whole lotta sex, and characters interesting enough to keep you glued the entire way through. I could easily have given this book 4 stars, even 5 stars if it wasn't for the previous issues, and a few inconsistencies. The authors writing is a kind I enjoy, she kept me engaged and I wasn't required to sit and really think about my reading. I could just read and enjoy. 

For me, the ending also fell EXTREMELY short. All of a sudden, I am reading, at 90% thinking there is so much more to go here and I can't wait to get to it.. nuhuh, that's it. It just finishes. No more, nothing. I couldn't believe it, there was so much left to be said, and so much more to explore. I know there are next books in the series, so I am grateful for that, but the next book, Finding Willow is about Seven's best friend/lover, Star. So where Levi and Seven fit in to that I'm not sure, I'll have to read and see.
I rated "Hers" 3.5 Hearts

Purchase Links:

Amazon UK:        http://amzn.to/1aLob9j
Amazon.com:       http://amzn.to/16QVmek
Barnes & Noble: http://bit.ly/1dwDwwA

No comments:

Post a Comment