Wednesday 23 October 2013

Review: Nicole Reed's "Wasted Heart (Ruining Spin off )"

@Nicole1Reed      @KirstyLBooks
Nicole Reed's "Wasted Heart (Ruining Spin off)" is out!!!! Here are the purchasing links plus our 5 Hearts Review from Kirsty. Enjoy xxx

~5 Hearts Review ~

Amazon UK:      http://amzn.to/1gDSd5R
Amazon.com:     http://amzn.to/18J9qVH

Goodreads:         http://bit.ly/1a0mHr7

Synopsis:


“Who are you?”

The image in the mirror staring back at me feigns disinterest. 

Rock star? Recovering addict? Murderer? 

How can you explain to someone what it’s like not to care? Not about yourself or the person standing next to you. I’ve lost that, the ability to feel and show affection. I do, however, have a heart. Sometimes, when I chase the dragon, it thunders through my head like a drum, reminding me it still beats. It’s still there.

Hollow.​ Empty.​ Wasted.

My agent says I have one more shot. A single, solitary chance to stay in the music biz, but there is one massive problem. HER.

***This is a stand-alone book. It is a spin-off from the Ruining Series; however, you do not have to read the series to read Rhye's story.

Review: Kirsty Lander: 
"She fell in love with a broken boy."

Nicole Reed blows me away with her writing again and again and Wasted Hear was absolutely no exception to that. I don't really know how she does it, but every book I read by her is always better than the last. 

We are all familiar with Rhye Clark from Nicole's Ruining Series and whilst I did always love him in that book, I was never on Team Rhye.. it was always Kane for me. Having said that, I did love his character and as soon as I heard that Nicole was writing another book all about Rhye I couldn't have been more disappointed. He's the type of guy we all love, even when we shouldn't. The rock star, the bad boy, the one in to all the wrong things.. drugs, drink and women. But the biggest shocker of all? Rhye has a heart of gold.
"Who wants to live this life sober when the alternative 
makes you feel abso-fucking-lutely nothing?"

Rhye is skating on thin ice. His record label have just about had enough of him, and they give him one last chance to get his crap together and sort his life out. Easier said than done for a guy so buried deep in grief and heartache that he can't find a way out. He agrees to stay in Nashville, recording a new album and staying on the straight and narrow.. meaning 11pm curfew's, regular drug tests and creating a duet with one of the countries leading country singers, Syn Landry.

I LOVED Syn's character. She may only be 19, but she too has lived a life full of grief and heartbreak, only she came out the other side a stronger person. She pours her whole heart and soul in to her music and is always so ready and willing to help out someone in need.. Rhye included. For someone treated so like crap (from Rhye) she never gave up on him. She knew what she wanted.. him.. and she went for it, even during the times when I'm sure anyone else would have told him exactly where to go. She quickly became one of my favourite heroines to read about.


"I gape into Rhye Clark's dark abyss. An empty, soulless cavity. An uncontrollable full-body 
shiver shakes me to my core, and my world changes. Instantly. Irrevocably."

Not only did I love these characters alone, but I loved them together. They brought out the best qualities in each other, and they showed time and time again that they were so good for each other. Nicole has created characters here who, could not be more different, but at the same time be so perfect for each other. "We are not only polar opposites, we are from different worlds entirely." Syn is the light, whilst Rhye is the dark. Syn is the happy, whilst Rhye is the deeply sad. Rhye is the addict, Syn is the girl who doesn't drink, let alone touch a drug. They really couldn't be any more different but that just makes them work. They complimented each other in the best of ways.


"His voice. God that voice. The deep, raspy tone gives me chill bumps just thinking about it. 
It reaches down inside and tugs at every string you possess."

I've already briefly mentioned Nicole's writing, but I can't do this book justice without properly going in to detail about it. I don't know how she manages it, but every book she churns out is just better and better and it is so damn obvious that she works so hard to improve every time. Whether it be this series, or Cake, Nicole brings out all the emotions and has you feeling everything. Wasted Heart is told in both Syn and Rhye's POV, and obviously I must be a real Rhye fan, because his chapters were my favourite. Witnessing first hand his struggles when it came to his drug addiction were so realistic. It was so plain to me that Nicole knew what she was talking about here and I appreciated that so much when reading his chapters. The times he would beat himself up over feeling inadequate and not worthy of life, let alone love, were so painfully beautiful. 


"I suffer greatly for my sins. I've never needed a judge or jury because I crucify myself just fine."

I could easily have highlighted and quoted the whole freaking book but something tells me Nicole would have been less impressed so I tried hard to refrain. That just shows me that this book was all kinds of incredible. And I think for anybody who is a fan of The Ruining Series then there is no way you won't love this. Whether you were Team Kane, JT or Rhye, Nicole brings you the same level of emotion and angst here, as well as an imperfect HAE. My favourite kind.


♫ "And I don't know how you revived this ceaseless beating.
And made it restart.
I want you to stay, 
inside this once wasted heart." ♫

I rated "Wasted Heart" 5 Hearts


*ARC provided by Nicole Reed in turn for an honest review.*

Author Bio: 

I love angst….I thrive on it, but only the fictional kind. I adore a story that grips the reader from the beginning and doesn’t let go…EVER. I’m an avid reader who just recently discovered my love of writing. My favorite things in life include my three wild & crazy kids, Reese's Pieces, and every genre of music. I reside in the Deep South. 

Website:     nicolereedbooks.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment