Saturday 12 October 2013

Review: Kim Karr's "Torn."

@KirstyLBooks      @authorkimkarr
Review: Kim Karr's "Torn."
~4 Hearts ~

Amazon UK:   http://amzn.to/1bo2515
Amazon.com:  http://amzn.to/GIK3ZT

Synopsis:

Rock star River Wilde brought Dahlia London back from the brink of hopelessness with his unwavering love and devotion. But their entangled history is about to test the strength of their relationship…

Dahlia was certain she had found true love and met her "Once in a Lifetime’ when she reconnected with River. But Dahlia’s world comes crashing down when someone from her past resurfaces, and all of River’s carefully hidden secrets are exposed.
                                                                  
River wants to show Dahlia that life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass—it’s about dancing in the rain. But how many times can one broken heart be mended?  Will River and Dahlia be able to stay together or will they be torn apart?

Review: Kirsty Lander

I don't really know where to start to be honest. I loved this read but I really felt bored at times, too. I'm most definitely Torn... I know, I know, bad joke. 

"I thought Ben was my once-in-a-lifetime, 
but who knew a once-in-a-lifetime could happen twice?"

River and Dahlia had me interested in their story right from the start of Connected. The ending had me wanting to SCREAM and throw my kindle, so I could not WAIT to get my hands on Torn. I was pleased that the story picked up right where we left off with Dahlia learning the news that her ex, Ben, who she thought was dead is in fact alive. UH OH. I was nervous that this was only going to mean bad things for Dahl and River, and unfortunately I was right. 

I like a book with angst, a few arguments and eventually a reconciliation in the end. I need that HAE, regardless of how we get there. Usually. Whilst I do realise that Kim could have really taken this book to uncomfortable levels (think full blown love triangle, sleeping with both parties) I am pleased that she didn't. What I wasn't so pleased about was the amount of arguments and misunderstandings that took place. It became frustrating. I get it, when an ex comes back from the grave it is going to throw anyone for a loop, especially if you are in a relationship. BUT talk the damn thing out and move on. Dahl bugged me constantly. Not for the fact that she insisted on talking to Ben constantly, but the fact of lying about it or 'stretching the truth' when it came to River. It was just too much for me:

"I want to believe your love is only for me. That your lips are mine. 
That your kisses are meant for me. That your body belongs to me."

Once again I loved River in this book and feel like he deserves some sort of medal for putting up with the crazy Ben and Dahl show. I don't know that many guys would put up with the crap. Many times I found myself wanting to tell him to drive away and never look back.

"My father always told us that scars are the road maps to one's soul. 
It took me forever to figure out what he meant, but I did when I met you."

As for Ben, I really don't know what I was supposed to feel towards him. Looking at the title I guess I am supposed to be falling for both River and eventually Ben but it just wasn't the case for me. I was never torn in my mind about who Dahl should be with. I thought Ben was a cut a lot of an a-hole and I didn't feel like he deserved any happiness.

As usual I loved Kim's writing style. I don't know what it is exactly, I really can't put my finger on it, but it just seems so unique and unlike any style I read. It's almost as if Dahl is really there, making me live through everything just as she is. I know this is how writing should be but very rarely do I actually feel it so much. Not only that, but the few chapters that were from Ben's journal (yep, he gets a POV too!) I totally loved too. You could tell, even without headings that a POV change had happened and I really felt his chapters just added to the understanding of the story. 

I just have a smallish complaint and then I'm done. And it's nothing to do with the writing, just something that distracted me and hindered my reading a little. Bloggers. I love them, they are so important and I couldn't tell you the amount I follow on FB, email and twitter etc.. They are all brilliant and very necessary in this book world, so when I see an author acknowledging and thanking them it makes me smile. What I don't need though is every bar, restaurant, club or band name to be named after one. It was cute to start with, but after the 5th one? I'm rolling my eyes and thinking enough is enough. Sorry Kim and bloggers but it was just far too distracting to me. 

Overall I enjoyed this read a lot but I am glad that River and Dahl's story is over and we can now move on to other characters. 

"That's one wish I guarantee is granted. I love you, Dahlia Wilde. 
You turned my life from ordinary to extraordinary. You're perfect, really."

I rated "Torn" 4 Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment