Monday 28 October 2013

Review: Jack Wilder's "The Missionary."

@MrJWilder
Review: Jack Wilder's "The Missionary."

~ 4.5 Hearts Review ~

Amazon UK:     http://amzn.to/1ik9mwR
Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/1a7e1NC

Synopsis:

Ex-Navy SEAL Stone Pressfield has a bad feeling about the proposed church missions trip to Manila, Philippines. The college-age church group plans to go to Manila and help victims of the sex-trafficking industry. Stone's lingering nightmare memories about the sex-trafficking industry have him warning church leaders that the trip is a bad idea. He knows all too well that it could end in violence, and those involved aren't to be trifled with.

When beautiful Wren Morgan goes missing, he has a sick feeling that he knows exactly who took her, and for what purpose. The problem is, Wren isn't just any other student. She's someone he's close to, someone he cares about. Now she's in the hands of cruel, evil men, and Stone is the only one who can rescue her before the unthinkable happens.

Review: Kirsty Lander: 

What a truly incredible book. It seems that no matter how many books I read in the same 'human trafficking' genre, it still shocks me to my core. I know this stuff day in, day out. I have read a few books of exactly the same theme, but somehow The Missionary seemed to be the most gritty, raw and real feeling of them all. So many times I felt like I was right there. And it was frightening. 

"Fear keeps you alert. It keeps you alive. If you’re afraid, you’re still fighting to stay alive."

Wren is just your average young girl. She goes to college, she hangs out with friends and she dates. There is nothing special about her, aside from the fact she wants to make a difference in the world. She finds out that her local church group are organising a mission trip to Manila, to provide support and help girls who have been sold in to the sex trafficking world. Wren knows the dangers, she knows exactly what could go wrong yet there is no stopping her. 

Stone, ex Navy SEAL too knows only too well everything that can go wrong. After all, he's been there, he's witnessed the horror first hand. If he can't stop Wren he knows the only way to keep her safe is to go along with her and the group, ensuring they know safety rules. Keep together, don't go out alone. He has the instinct to protect everyone, but he's had his eye on Wren for a loooong time now, and that doesn't change when they are in Manila, he wants to protect her from everyone and everything.

As the group are nearing the end of their trip, terror strikes and Wren is kidnapped. Gone. Alone. Stone instantly knows who has her, he is far too aware of what Wren's captor is capable of, and he vows to do all he can to get her back. 

"Don't say it yet, Stone. Not until we're home. No matter how many times we do this until then, 
don't say it. I need that to look forward to. I know it, I see it. But don't say it."

Unfortunately, this is kind of where my issue with the story started and why I can't really give it the full 5* stars. When I realised the story was basically Stone working to get Wren back, I thought to myself how on earth is there enough of a story for a whole novel? I wasn't really sure.. I didn't want it all dragged out but that is exactly what it felt like to me. I appreciate how difficult it is to get out of these sorts of situations, I do but the way this story went on.. Almost like Stone searching, finding Wren, being together, being split up, killing a few guys. And repeat. This pattern seemed to go on for a large chunk of the story and by 60% or so I found myself tired of it. I knew they'd make it out, I just wanted the story to get to that point, I was getting bored. 

"You can only deal with the here and now, babe. This is all there is. 
What ifs won't keep you alive."

Fortunately, thanks to the ending I fell in love with the story again. For maybe the last 4 or 5 chapters I was in pieces. I can't say too much without ruining the story, but I can say that those chapters may be some of the most emotional I have ever read. I felt like I was right there in the same room as these incredibly strong and brave women, listening to their stories. It was just beyond incredible. 

"All of it came up and out. Sobbing wasn't really the word for it. It was something 
beyond sobbing. It was the sound of a soul being shattered, of terror and pain
 finally being given true vent."

I think this book should be read by everyone. Just give it a chance. It really brings it all home how awful some people are in the world and the complete horrors that go on. It truly makes you want to go out there and so just something to make a difference. I don't think there are many books out there the same.
I rated "The Missionary" 4.5 Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment