Saturday 19 October 2013

Review: Barbara S. Stewart's "Rock and Roll never Forgets."

Review: Barbara S. Stewart's "Rock and Roll Never Forgets."

~ 4 Hearts Review: Surj ~

Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/18bkTyt
Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1apKwKf

Synopsis

Beth Morgan is a young woman who’s just been given the ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunity to meet her favorite band, Traveler. That meeting leads to a chance encounter with her idol, the band’s lead singer, Andy Stevens. What follows is a love story. A journey through the peaks, valleys and trials of a relationship lived in the public eye; the miles they traveled together through his career in the music business, and her struggles to stay obscure in a world she never really settled into comfortably. In the end it's all about love, fate, and what the heart can't hold back.

Review: Surj Harvey

"Shoulda, coulda, woulda, if it was meant to be it would have been."

I got this book as a freebie and because it was recommended by fellow bloggers but honestly, when I started reading it, I didn't know what I was getting into. The story definitely didn't grab me straight away, mainly because of the writing style I think. The book was written in third person and that's something I always struggle with. I always feel that the connection with the characters is lost somewhat through this style. I like to get into the hearts and minds of my characters, really understand them and their thought processes and why they behave the way they do. As I said, I feel this was missing somewhat for me. 

When Andy and Beth met, there was an instant attraction that both characters wanted to explore. What developed was such a beautiful relationship where both characters just couldn't get enough of the other. 

Kimmys insightfulness: she knew Beth was falling hard. She saw that first spark and 
watched it burn into a small flame. But she saw Andy too. His reaction to Beth  was 
almost a mirror of her reaction to him. 

She knew this relationship would change their lives forever. 
She saw the beginnings of a match made in heaven, and she prayed. 

Sacrifices were made on both parts and all seemed wonderful in the world of this couple. I just couldn't see where this book could go. Much of the first 25-30% of the book focused on this "hearts and flowers" relationship developing and as much as it was sweet, I needed something more, something to get me emotionally, something to sink my teeth into. That's why we read this books after all. 

I should have realised though.... Once a rock star always a rock star!!!! Andy Stevens broke my heart and in the most unexpected way. I never saw it coming and Bethy most definitely didn't. Her character fell hard for Andy and she gave up a lot to ensure their relationship could develop. The problem was, one mistake (a huge one that ripped her heart out) and she eventually took him back. Another mistake and she still took him back. And this was the viscous circle that ended up being their relationship. As it was described: the good, the bad and the ugly with romance thrown in. 

She knew at that moment that with him is where she was meant to be, wanted to be, needed to be. She knew that she would forgive him again, and again, and again. He had her heart. 

As Bethy said, he had her heart and she would always forgive him. Her decision was an informed one. She knew what she was Doing. It took guts I guess 9or stupidity depending on which way you look at it):

“I fell in love with you and never fell out. I tried. God knows I tried.”

What I didn't expect was the turn of events in the second half of the book. It was at this point that the book had me hooked, it was now that I just couldn't put their story down. I cried, god I cried big ugly, heart breaking tears and those tears fell constantly until the end of the book. Did Andy redeem himself? Yes thank god and they did get their HEA (well as much as they could with the turn of events).

With all the good, there were also some trying times in our life together. I made mistakes 
over the years. We saw our way through each storm and back into each others arms. 

Although this book was about Andy and Bethy, I loved their extended family, the band, Roddy, Vince and most definitely Kimmy. These guys provided a support network for Bethy when at times it felt like her world was literally crushing her. They were always there saying the right things, being that shoulder to cry on but also being honest with her.

As I said earlier, I wasn't taken on this book initially and probably up to the end of the first half found myself going round in a vicious Circle in terms of their relationship. The first half was probably 3 hearts for me. The second half had all of my attention. I was completely and utterly emotionally invested and there were tears that just wouldn't stop. The second half was no doubt 5 hearts for me. Overall, I would give this book 4 hearts. (I still have a lump in my throat writing this review!!!)

A couple of my favourite quotes I couldn't fir into the review but loved all the same: 

When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love. 

“…You crawled into my soul, became a part of me. I saw the inner beauty, 
and regardless of what you think, the outside wasn't bad either.”

No comments:

Post a Comment