Wednesday 18 September 2013

Review: Jade C. Jamison's "Bullet."

Review: Jade C. Jamison's "Bullet."

Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/1egnJ8M
Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1egnB9n

Synopsis:

An Epic Rock Star Novel

What if you discover the man you want is toxic?
She tasted a little bit of heaven with him, and now they've gone through hell and back, but can their relationship take anymore?

Valerie Quinn is a naïve college freshman when she meets on-the-rise rock star Ethan Richards. He’s an idealistic, handsome, reckless young man, but he’s captured her heart. She doesn’t give up on him and eventually his walls crumble down. By the time Valerie has given herself to him completely, she discovers he’s damaged and may be beyond help. Can she save Ethan and their relationship before he implodes, or will he self-destruct and take her with him?

Review: Surj Harvey

Frustrated, agitated, confused and angry are just some of the emotions I felt whilst reading Jade C. Jamison's "Bullet." This book drove me Crazy and more often than not left me wanting to shake the characters into oblivion. 

I could say that part of this book is the "coming of age" story of Valerie Quinn but that would truly be an understatement. Let's say it was more a baptism of fire because Valerie had led quite a sheltered life up until she moved away from home to go to college:

I was a young, naive virgin, raised in a strict Christian atmosphere, 
sheltered from a lot of real life. 

But her life was changed forever when she met Ethan and the other band members from "Bullet." Suddenly, guys were taking an interest in her and I mean lots of guys but her heart belonged to just one and it had from the moment she had clapped eyes on him:

But even on that first day, I saw a look of anger in his eyes, a look of hate, of revenge- 
from where I sat, it was barely noticeable, but it was there, just the same, and it 
would always be there. I think that attracted me the most. It made him mysterious. 
I should have known then to stay away. But I've always be the kind to take on a challenge. 

Jesus Christ... this man was the mother of all challenges and as their story progressed, I have to say I truly began to despise him. Valerie gave Ethan so much. She put her trust and faith in him and time and time again he just let her down. But she kept going back for more and that just infuriated me. "Why oh why oh why???" I found myself on more than one occasion: 

I wanted a second chance. I wanted to make a real go of it. Rationale or not, I loved Ethan. 
I knew it was stupid but it didn't matter. Stupid or not, I wanted him. Part of me knew 
he was damaged... deeply damaged... and I think that part of me also wanted to try to save him. 

There were times I really thought this man was beyond saving. The hurt and pain Ethan put Valerie through and some of the despicable things he did, I just couldn't see any way he could possibly redeem himself. It was like watching a car crash in slow motion and re-running it over and over again. Their relationship was a vicious circle where Ethan used her, manipulated her and then tossed her aside when he felt like it. Unfortunately he would then  worm his way back in just as easily as he had left. But Valerie was in love and unfortunately her heart overruled her head. 

There were so many other men that Valerie met over the years (because this book did span years) and some of them would have been ideal choices as a man to settle down with. Clay/ Jet was just brilliant and he really did show Valerie a different side to life and relationships and the guys from the band... I took my hat off to them because they always had Valerie's back. They warned her over and over and even openly told her what Ethan had been up and Brad..... oh Brad. Now this guy was just the all encompassing ideal man. He was hot, he was kind, caring and very protective of Valerie. There had always been a spark between them but she just wouldn't let go of that low life. Brad was the one constant in Valerie's life and was always there when the shit hit the fan (which it always did) but he never pushed her for anything more and would never take things further as long as her heart belonged to Ethan:

"I know you're into Ethan, and as long as you are, nothing's gonna happen between us. 
But I want you to know I'll wait."

Most of the story was obvious. There were no major twists or turns and you kind of knew which direction it was going because the chapters were told in alternate past and present. "Bullet" was told from Valerie's POV so despite some of her actions and decisions driving me mad, her rationale for these was clearly explained. Part of it her upbringing, part of it her own naive beliefs and part of it just and plain and simple love. This was a long read and there were times I just felt I was reading the same thing just on a different day, month or year in Valerie's life. A few times I found myself "eye rolling" and thinking "hear we go again!!!"

I found it so difficult to rate this book. I wasn't a huge fan of the style of writing. I felt there was a lot of unnecessary detail and at times it dragged.  The characters left me totally dumbfounded at times and some of their actions left me completely speechless. 
I have rated "bullet" 3.5 Hearts. Does Valerie get her HEA? Yes thank god because I don't think I could have read anymore if she hadn't. The right choices were made in the end... hallelujah!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment