Thursday 1 August 2013

Review: Harper Sloan's "Axel (Corps Security #1)."


@HarperSloan
Review: Harper Sloan's "Axel (Corps Security #1)"


Synopsis:

Fate hasn't always been friends with Isabelle West. In fact, fate has been a downright bitch.

Isabelle has learned the hard way how hard life can be when fate isn't by your side. It can hand you dreams on silver platters, but it can snatch them right back and hand you nightmares. One thing Isabelle knew for sure fate was consistent with was taking away everything she ever loved.

For the last two years Isabelle has been slowly clearing the clouds of her past. Happiness is finally on the horizon. She has a thriving business, great friends, and her life back. All she has to do is jump over the last hurdle…her ex-husband.

When problems start causing her to fear her new life, and memories that are better left forgotten start rushing to the surface the last thing she needs is a ghost from her past to come knocking on her door. 

Axel never thought he would look into the eyes of Isabelle West again, and he wasn’t sure he wanted to now. He’s carried his anger for so long he isn’t sure he can just turn it off, but when he is faced with protecting her and an unexpected desire to have her again, life gets a little more complicated.

How will Axel and Isabelle deal when all their cards are put on the table and everything they thought was true blows up in their faces?

Review: Surj 

There's been a real  buzz about this book since it was launched. With teasers and reviews and readers getting their knickers in a twist over some guy by the name of Holt 'Axel' Reid, I was dying to know what all the fuss was about so last Sunday I decided it was time to get stuck in. "Axel" had me from the prologue and I read the whole book in one sitting. 

The book started with some very graphic scenes of domestic abuse which the author did warn readers about. It was brutal and it was ugly but I kept reading because I had to know that the woman who had endured such cruelty from her husband would survive. I needed to know that there was light at the end of the tunnel for her:

People say karma is a bitch but I have news for you, karma doesn't have 
anything on fate when she is after blood. Not a single thing. 

Izzy's character just broke my heart because not only had she suffered at the hands of the bastard ex husband but at the age of seventeen, she'd suffered unimaginable loss. Life truly had been a bitch of the worst kind but she was lucky to have friends who had been there for her. Two years on and I saw a woman who was trying to piece her life back together. She was still very much a fragile, broken character but the future looked brighter than it had in a long time. And so with the arrival of her thirtieth birthday, surely it was time to celebrate? Nope because fate decided to intervene yet again. First the ex decided he wasn't through with Izzy and then second, the man who had stolen her heart all those years ago decided to make an appearance. Welcome everyone to Mr Holt "Axel" Reid!!! 


The last thing I think, before I feel my world spinning and crashing down on me, is Axel isn't gone. He isn't dead. I didn't lose the last part of him..... on my eighteenth birthday. 

Unfortunately their reunion was anything but a happy one. Miscommunication and several hundred crossed wires had left these two bitter and angry. Both stubborn characters, both of them dug their heals in and the situation wasn't about to get resolved any time soon. Izzy wasn't ready to talk but Axel wasn't the kind of man who liked being left in the dark. This man wanted answers: 

"You want fucking time, fine. One week, that is all I'm willing to give. Next Saturday, 
I don't care if I have to knock on every goddamn door in Georgia. I will find 
you and we will be having this talk. Got that?"

There were so many moments I could have banged their heads together. Izzy and Axel just couldn't see what was right under their noses and despite other characters in the story trying to clue them in, this was not going to be a straight road to happiness. 

Izzy wasn't ready to share her past with Axel. Even her best friends couldn't convince her otherwise. Unfortunately I lost my rag with Izzy over this because of her treatment towards her friend Greg. This was a man that had been by her side when she was at rock bottom and had helped her heal. I felt she threw their friendship in his face when he tried to do the right thing. Her words were cruel and completely unjust:

"Do not even bother Greg. Don't. As far as I'm concerned you can lose my number. 
I'm dead to you, you hear me? I do not exist to you."

As Izzy and Axel's relationship developed, they not only reconnected emotionally but also physically and this gave us a sizzling second half of the book! They couldn't keep their hands off each other and add to that, one drop dead gorgeous, body to die for, extreme alpha male and even I was all hot and flustered (lol). I'd been waiting for Axel to make his grand entrance for what seemed like forever in this book and when he finally did show at 19%, my response was "holy mother in heaven, this one's a keeper." This man took no crap,when he spoke, people listened and he was possessive.  He was hard as nails, tough as old boots but he had a heart of gold when it came to Izzy and my heart just melted with the way he was with her:

"I won't let you go until we figure it out. Not happening. Do you feel it? Every single thing we 
ever felt for each other, it is still there Izzy and I won't let you push me away. We walked back 
into each other's lives for a reason... There isn't one goddamn thing that will tear us apart again. 
Lost too much time already, Princess. Too much time that I should have had you right 
here in my arms… Not one day went by Izzy that my heart didn't belong to you."

This book was full of fabulous secondary characters. Dee and Sway brought some much needed humour and the guys from Corps Security definitely provided me with extra eye candy (or reading candy should I say). Let's just say this book was full of testosterone fuelled hunks.  With Greg, Zeke, Beck and Mdddox, I was spoiled for choice. These boys were bad ass, I loved each of them and guess what? They're all getting their own story (squeeeee!!!! I can't wait!!!!)

If you're looking for a story with a whole host of bad ass alpha's, one very hot male lead, drama that will keep you on the edge of your seat and romance that will have your heart doing a happy dance, then  this is for you. "Axel" will leave your emotions in a mess right up until the very last page and the epilogue will leave you with a sense of hope that even when fate deals some major blows, there is always light at the end of the tunnel (big sigh!!!!)
I rated this book 4 Hearts
Roll on early 2014 for "Cage." This will tell Greg's story.






No comments:

Post a Comment