Tuesday 6 August 2013

Bad Boys of Rock Month: Interview with Kylie Scott: Author of "Lick."


@KylieScottbooks
Bad Boys of Rock Month: Interview with Kylie Scott: Author of "Lick."

For our "Bad Boys of Rock" Month at The Hopeless Romantics Book Blog, we managed to get an interview with Kylie Scott, author of "Lick (Stage Dive #1)." Kylie was just lovely and answered all of our questions. She has even donated a copy of the book to the giveaway we are compiling to celebrate the theme. We just can't help falling in love with these rockstars and unfortunately the naughtier they are, the more heavily we tend to fall. 
.  
Check out our review for Lick here:  http://bit.ly/13DZhrg



Interview:

Hi Kylie. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer some of our questions. As you know, we're hosting a "Bad Boys of Rock" month on the blog and we just couldn't NOT include one of the newest boys on the block: Mr David Ferris. I can't wait to find out a little more about yourself and also, your books and of course the boys from the band "Stage Dive" so lets get stuck in: 

                                      *****************************************

Having looked at your blog and your Goodreads page, I discovered I don’t know much about your background. I know you live in Australia with your husband and two kids but who is Kylie Scott?  And have you always been a writer? 

After the whole wife and mother stuff, I’m first and foremost a book and music lover. I've worked in admin, bar tending, floristry and sales. About six years ago I decided to get serious about writing and started taking courses and seeking feedback. 

Your books are a mixture of post apocalyptic and New Adult romances.  Out of all of your books, which one did you enjoy writing the most and why? 

Oh, I can’t pick a favourite baby, sorry. They all had their positives and negatives. Flesh was great fun but I wrote it over several years. Lick was challenging, because I couldn't resort to gore or guns for action. But I really do love how the characters evolved in Lick. 

Who is your favourite character from your books?

Hmm, my favourite heroine would be Evelyn. I think she’s a solid, two feet on the ground kind of girl. She really rolled with the punches. Favourite hero is probably still Daniel from Flesh, however. You never forget your first hero.

Have any of your characters ever given your grief when writing and how did you bring them back to the straight and narrow? (well as straight and narrow as you could possibly get a fictional character).                                                                                                                                                                                      
Evelyn did give me some hard times in an early draft. I worked her out by talking scenes over with my husband, actually. Mostly, he just nodded his head at me, but it worked!

Where did your inspiration come from for “Lick?” 

I’d been reading New Adult books like Easy and Beautiful Disaster and got to remembering what it was like being that age. You’re totally responsible for yourself as an adult for the first time. I've always loved rock music, tattooed bad boys and so on. Combining the two interests really appealed to me.

When did you realise “Lick” was going to be a huge success?  And how did you celebrate? 

It was amazing when it hit the Amazon Top #100 on release day. That blew my mind. Book bloggers had been incredibly enthusiastic and supportive in the weeks leading up to its release which made a huge difference. I got given a bottle of Crystal Skull Vodka, that’s how I celebrated. 

We just fell in love with David Ferris. Where did the name come from? 

I like to use relatively plain or old fashioned names for some reason. I don’t really remember why I chose David in particular. Though I did have a huge crush on a David in grade four, but he was a blond.

Who would your ideal David Ferris be? 

Male model Vinnie Woolston is my main muse for the character.
                 
                           

Now he is one hottie  Kylie Scott!!!! Holy moly!!! I need to go cool myself down !!!!

What bands/ rock stars would David Ferris and the boys from Stage Dive be listening to/ Following currently? 

Kings of Leon, Eskimo Joe, Foo Fighters, Jack White, The Strokes.

What bands would have inspired Stage Dive to take the direction they took? 

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, White Stripes...bands like that.

So Mal’s story is next? What can we expect to see from him? 

I think that boy needs and stop and take things seriously now and then. But only now and then. He’d probably also be genius at making a girl that takes life a bit too seriously stop and laugh occasionally.

Do you have an idea of when it might be released? (We need more from Stage Dive!!!! Lol)

No definite release date just yet sorry! But I promise its happening.

Do you have outlines for the stories for the other band members: Ben and Jimmy?

Yes.

Who is your favourite bad boy of rock?  Real and Fictional

Johnny Cash was great. And I still have a soft spot for Bono singing “With or Without You”. But then there’s Chris Cornell. Whoa, that boys voice. Fictional wise, I don’t usually read other books in the same sub-genre that I’m writing (its part of my purity plan). But I am going to read Beneath the Burn by Pam Godwin. I've heard such great things about it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions.  We really appreciate it. We're going to let you get back to writing now (Hopefully Mal's story)!!! lol 


No comments:

Post a Comment