Wednesday 26 June 2013

Review: Kylie Scott's "Lick (Stage Dive # 1)"

4.5 Hearts Review: Kylie Scott's "Lick (Stage Dive # 1)."

Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/172A0FV


Amazon.co.uk  http://amzn.to/15Ep5QR

Synopsis:

Waking up in Vegas was never meant to be like this.

Evelyn Thomas’s plans for celebrating her twenty-first birthday in Vegas were big. Huge. But she sure as hell never meant to wake up on the bathroom floor with a hang-over to rival the black plague, a very attractive half-naked tattooed man, and a diamond on her finger large enough to scare King Kong. Now if she could just remember how it all happened.

One this is for certain, being married to rock and roll’s favourite son is sure to be a wild ride.

My Review: Surj

Over the last couple of weeks, Lick has been receiving quite a bit of publicity. With a cover release, several excerpts and half of the first chapter posted on the internet, I knew this book would be one I had to read. To be honest, the cover didn't really do it for me but the synopsis and that first chapter had me hook, line and sinker. As I worked my way through Kylie Scott's "Sunday teasers" for the book, I knew David Ferris was most definitely going to be my next "bad boy rock star" read. Lucky me because Kylie sent me an ARC and so I was able to get stuck right in. And holy mo fo because I wasn't disappointed!!! I couldn't put the damn thing down. The story was brilliant from start to finish, the characters (good and bad) left me desperate to read more and the twists and turns had me feeling all sorts of emotions. You'll definitely need to take time out for this one and make sure there are no distractions because once you start reading, you won't be able to tear yourself away.

David and Evelyn's relationship didn't start off in the conventional way. Well, they met and married in the space of a few hours and unfortunately she remembered none of it. But it was "meant to be" and with a little bit of effort (ok a lot) maybe it could work. Unfortunately the path to true love is never straight forward and with everything they had thrown at them, it would be a miracle if they survived. If it wasn't Evelyn's parents, it was his band mates, if not the band mates then Martha, if not Martha then the lawyers, if not lawyers then the paparazzi. The list was endless but even with all that going against them, I truly wanted them to make it:

"I married you, Evelyn, because you made sense to me. We make sense.
We're a whole lot better together than apart."

Evelyn Thomas was a brilliant leading lady and so easy to relate to. She'd got so wasted on her twenty first birthday that she couldn't remember anything, including her nuptials. Watching her squirm was hilarious and her inner dialogue had me in stitches. This wasn't how Evelyn normally behaved. She was the girl that had her life all planned out:

"You especially told me about the big plan. You know... finish school, then spend three to five years establishing yourself at a mid range firm before moving up the ranks somewhere more prestigious and starting your own small consultancy business bu thirty-five.
Then there'd maybe  time to get a relationship and those pesky kids out of the way."

Everything she did involved a plan. There was a plan for getting out of the marriage. When she decided she wanted back in on the marriage, that too involved a plan. Even when everything fell apart there was a plan:
"I'm serious," I said. "I'm going bi. It's my new plan."

She was hilarious. I loved that Kylie Scott didn't portray her as a typical model type female protagonist. She was literally your girl next door. She shopped high street, had curves in all the right places and even had scraggy old pyjamas for those duvet days us girls just love. Although there were a few occasions where I saw a vulnerable, even innocent side to Evelyn, overall, I found her to be strong in character. This girl was not a door mat and she most definitely didn't let anyone (including hot shot lawyers) push her around. In fact she hated bullies and would stand up for anyone who was a victim. The night David had walked into her life, she was doing just that:

"Some of them started giving the poor waitress shit, telling her they were going
to get her fired. You just swooped in and handed them their asses."

And that's what first attracted David to her.

And so we come to Mr Ferris. Sexy, hot, drop dead gorgeous, the whole dark hair, deep blue eyes, tattoo thing he had going on left me in quite a mess. David was the lead guitarist for "Stage Dive" and he was mighty fine. Women just hung off him, they couldn't get enough but this wasn't the life he wanted anymore. His heart was no longer in it and he just felt so alone:

"We decided to get married."
"Mm, because I had just had the best night of my life.
First time I hadn't felt alone in so fucking long."

He truly felt that Evelyn was the one, even though it had only been one night. She was real and said it how it was. He needed that:

"I needed a dose of reality. Someone who'd actually say no to occasionally
and call bullshit on the scene."

David was a kind, caring man. Right from the start, he was attentive to Evelyn's needs. It was only after she said she didn't remember anything, that I could feel a shift in his behaviour. He was angry and hurt and I felt completely deflated for him. One minute she was his future, then next there was nothing. My heart broke a little for him just then. However, as much as I loved David, there were moments where I could have given him a kick up the backside or where I was ready to push him in a different direction. I know his behaviour was a result of him getting hurt and also the trust issues he had, but I was screaming "don't do it, please don't do it!!!!" Other times, there was a few expletives that left my mouth, where I just couldn't believe what he'd done and I was screaming "you dumb f**k. You've definitely gone and blown it now!!!"

I didn't feel anything. Seeing that should have been big, but it wasn't. It made me small and it shut me down inside. If anything, it felt almost oddly inevitable. The pieces had all been there. I'd been so stupid, trying not to see this. Thinking everything would be fine.

But he had my heart. Despite everything, I couldn't help crushing on David. I loved his alpha side, his protective nature but also the fact that he was a romantic at heart and in the end, he wouldn't give up.

How would I best describe my emotions in this book? Well to start with, there was nervous excitement. The opening chapter left me with a warm fuzzy, almost giddy feeling because I felt I knew where this story would go and I liked the direction. I fell in love with the characters and wanted them to be together so all was good. Right?  The came the angst (not too heavy mind). Just enough to make me feel a little angry and frustrated but still I felt that fuzzy feeling because the story was going how I wanted it to. Then came the lovely walk in the park where I was content and everything was good. So where did the dark clouds come from? Oh crap, was that a rumble of thunder? Sh*t it's a storm!!!!  I didn't expect that!!! Yes, there is a twist that came out of nowhere and I was left devastated. Kylie Scott, you rained on my lovely parade and I got bloomin drenched. How could you? Lucky for me, I knew this was a standalone in terms of David and Evelyn's story so it could hardly end badly.  Could it?

This is my first experience in terms of novels by Kylie Scott and I loved it. The book was so well written with the story line unfolding at a perfect pace. This book gave me romance, a very healthy dose of sex, a roller coaster of emotions and it definitely gave me drama. There was also a perfect balance of humour and angst (yes there were giggles and also some damn right howling matched with the whole brow furrowing and pain in the heart thing!!!) Being book #1 in the Stage Dive series, I can definitely see where the other books will come from. The secondary characters: Mal, Jimmy and Ben will hopefully all get their own books and the scene setting for these has started off perfectly in "Lick."

Should you read it? F**k Yes. This one got 4.5 Hearts from me!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment